What Is Obesity
What Is Obesity
If you weigh more than what is considered healthy level based on your height, it could be classified as overweight or obesity.
The measurement tool used to determine is Body Mass Index (BMI).
Please refer below for Asian BMI.
What Is My BMI
Input your height in centimeter (for example: 173) and weight in kilogram (for example: 75).
Click the ‘Calculate’ button to find out your Body Mass Index.
Your BMI is......
|less than 18.5:||Underweight|
|18.5 - 24.9:||Normal weight|
|25 - 29.9:||Overweight|
|30 - 34.9:||Class I Obese|
|35 - 39.9:||Class II Obese|
|40 upwards:||Class III Obese|
People who are overweight are at increased risk for many serious diseases. These include:
- Dementia including alzheimer’s disease.
- Lung diseases such as sleep apnoea and asthma.
- Cardiovascular diseases. eg, stroke and coronary artery disease.
- Fatty liver disease.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Chronic Kidney disease.
- Stress urinary incontinence.
- Osteoarthritis joint and back pain.
What Causes Obesity
Obesity is often a combination of factors which contribute to its development. It includes:
- An unhealthy diet.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Certain diseases and medications.
- Environment and lifestyle.
How To Lose Weight
The most common way to lose weight are to follow a healthy meal plan and get physically active.
The goal is to achieve negative energy balance.
It’s equally important to reduce your stress level and get enough sleep.
Energy balance is the energy or food intake (measured in calories) minus with energy expenditure (physical activity).
If you have a positive balance it will result in weight gain in the long run.
However, if you have negative balance it will result in weight loss.
How Much Energy Do I Need
We need energy for our body to function and to support our external activities.
Energy is measured in calories.
All food and fluid has calories. The only exception is water (H20) since water is void of carbohydrate, protein and fat.
To measure how much calories our body needs per day, we use a Calorie Calculator.
Tips To Getting Started
Weight loss is a journey. Do not expect to lose weight fast. It took years to gain weight, it will take time to lose weight too (but much faster if done right).
Here are some tips which you may find helpful:
- Write down the reason why you want to lose weight and make it visible where you’ll often see it.
- Set achievable goals. Always start small and work your way up. Remember, this is a journey not a sprint.
- Eat healthy food. There isn’t a single meal plan which fits everyone as each individual is unique. You’ll need to find what works best for you to consume lesser calories.
- Get moving. Any physical activity will increase energy expenditure. Even a daily 30 minutes walk is excellent goal to work towards.
- Consistency Is Key. You’ll be amaze how committing to these changes will yield results.
Have you ever wonder why despite putting in the efforts, you’re not losing enough weight or you’ve regain the weight lost?
When we lose weight, our body tries to put it back on because our metabolism slows down and appetite hormone levels also change, making us feel more hungry and less full. These changes can lead us to hitting plateau or regain the weight we’ve lost.
How Liraglutide (Saxenda) Helps With Weight Loss
Saxenda helps to reduce appetite by slowing down gastric motility. This reduction in calories is also coupled with a reduction in leptin levels which results in weight loss over time.
Saxenda helps to improve your metabolism over time through its effects on leptin levels.
Saxenda helps to change our biochemistry in the body, allowing for weight loss to occur and keep off the weight that you are losing.
Saxenda helps to reduce insulin resistance and lower blood sugar. This activates hormone-sensitive lipase and results in more fat burning over time.
Saxenda helps to reduce hyperglucagonemia (lower glucagon levels) which promotes normal glucose metabolism in the body and in the liver.
Weight Loss Program
Alainn’s Saxenda Weight Loss Program includes:
- Saxenda injectable pen.
- Advise on correct usage.
- Progress monitoring.
- Advise on food & nutrients intake.
You May Also Like..
As we mature, we develop pockets and layers of fat that will not disappear despite diet and exercise.
Alainn’s SmartSculpting combines selected ‘patient-tailored’ medical interventions (diagnostic and therapeutic) with the cutting-edge medical grade FDA-Cleared devices.